Monday, December 3, 2007

Hearty Soup For A Cold Weekend

Since it was pretty bad out this weekend, I decided to take the opportunity to make a soup from the leftover ham hock I had from Thanksgiving.

This recipe is from Cooks Country:

2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Ham Steak (I used leftover ham), cubed
1 -2 Smoked Ham Hocks (I didn't use smoked)
1 Onion, diced
3 carrots, peeled and diced
2 celery stalks, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups low sodium chick broth (I used chicken stock)
6 cups water
1 lb. navy beans, soaked overnight
fresh thyme for garnish

Over medium heat, heat oil in dutch oven until it starts to smoke. Add cubed ham and cook until brown, around 3 minutes. Add aromatic vegetables (onion, carrot, celery) and cook until soft, around 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, around 30 seconds.

Add broth, water and beans and cook until it starts to thicken, around 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Garnish with thyme and serve.